Thursday, March 19, 2009

Coloma Goes Boi-yoi-yoing

This is it. One of the many reasons I live here. Coloma in the Spring time. There is nothing like it. All the south facing slopes are covered with poppies and the lupine is coming out too. Here is the view from my patio looking across the river:

OK it isnt the best pic but if you look close you can see the poppies up there on the left and in the middle.

I went for a bike ride the other day. My first one since you know what. Downhill was great. I felt like I hadn't missed a minute. Uphill on the other hand... and we are talking very slight up hill sucked. I have no strength to turn the pedals. I think I'll wait a while before I ride again. I did enjoy my bike hugely. I took my cyclocross bike, a bianchi axis. Note the fresh yellow bar tape. I didn't win a tour stage and I am not in the yellow jersey. I think what I did was a little harder, certainly more unpleasant. So I gave myself a bit of yellow.

I've also got a few pics to wrap up the vacation. These are on the penultimate day at Refugio State Beach.

The girls spent hours running around in the waves. Note Dana is soaked. She did a faceplant right before this shot was taken.

The beach was beautiful and the temps were in the low 70's. Note, you can check out my Facebook page for a lot more pictures.

There we are making smores on the last night.

One last comment. I am sitting here listening to talk radio, NPR's talk of the nation. The subject is populist outrage over the bonuses at AIG. What the hell!? Where was everyone 4 years ago when this mess started brewing. Oh yeah, we were cashing out the equity on our homes and living fat and happy. No one was looking at what the Bushies and their corporate buddies were perpetrating on the economy. This has been going on for years. Pay attention my friends, the people with the money are counting on us looking the other way. What are they doing right now while we are worrying about the bonuses. Look at the magician's other hand. I'll bet there is something nefarious happening while we are thinking about AIG.

Whatever... It is all small potatoes to me. I am alive and I get to spend time with my family. It is spring and I am going to go paddling right now.

Love you. thanks for reading.

Spence

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spencer-- You deserve all the yellow in the world!!!

Judi said...

spence - love the yellow. keep working on your power. it'll come back. and eff those greedy effs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Spencer! It'll take some time for the uphills; but if anyone deserves long downhills and tailwinds it's you. Don't skip any meals and work a little bit on those poppy pictures, mate! :)

love,

-M

bikesgonewild said...

...a corner has been turned...& while it may take a while to get back up to speed, the road is open before you...

...godspeed, amigo...

Anonymous said...

spencer-you always have been good at the slight downhill, wind at your back rides. (I wouldn't tease you if you weren't on your way to full strength).

Anonymous said...

Here's to winning a little bit of yellow. :)