Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gratitude Again

After spending another week in the big house and taking a big step backward in my fitness I was feeling really angry, really depressed. It probably didn't help that I was kicking morphine and anti depressants at the same time. I was pissed off at everyone and everything last week. Especially myself. Then I heard a story about a guy that has terminal cancer. He lives somewhere in the middle of the Nevada desert off the grid, by himself. His prognosis is that he should have died two years ago. He is a medical and spiritual miracle. He is happy. He is ready to die. He is at peace and grateful for what he's got.
That used to be me. I lost it somewhere along the way. The anger and self pity took over. When I heard that guy speak I realized I have not been myself. I had forgotten to count my blessing instead of my problems and pains. Once I realized that it was an easy shift back to being me. I am the luckiest man in the world. I have the best family and community that a man could hope for. I have a second chance at life. I have a body that works. I am not in pain. What else is there?
What are you grateful for?
Goal: Leadville 100 not sure what year, anyone wanna do it with me?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep!

-M

Anonymous said...

spencer-got a new ride, called the "medal of honor ride"...go to lotus grade, which we know is a five pitch climb. climb the first pitch, the go back down...climb up to the second, then return...get the third, back down...fourth, fifth...it is a lot of bang for your buck and since you are close to home you can really hit it hard...it also messes with your head a little, all that turning back. want a sixth pitch? go right on luneman and get that one. hope to do this ride with you soon

Anonymous said...

spencer-got a new ride, called the "medal of honor ride"...go to lotus grade, which we know is a five pitch climb. climb the first pitch, the go back down...climb up to the second, then return...get the third, back down...fourth, fifth...it is a lot of bang for your buck and since you are close to home you can really hit it hard...it also messes with your head a little, all that turning back. want a sixth pitch? go right on luneman and get that one. hope to do this ride with you soon

Anonymous said...

spencer-i learned a valuable lesson this week-the family and I decided at the last minute to take a trip up to the Arcata area. In our haste, I neglected to bring any surfboards or wetsuits. Well, of course we get there and after a little investigating, I find the spot that is really working (great swell) called camel rock. It was epic, probably double overhead and peeling, LONG rides, all rights. I stood there with my pud in my hand, not being able to surf because I was unprepared. It was brutal. Granted, I had a blast with my family and the kids were in heaven (and I got a great ride and run), but it was like being invited to plat Augusta National and not having golf clubs, or forgetting your spray skirt on an epic run. What is the lesson? I don't know...be prepared, take the extra 5 minutes to pack, better to have and not need..., sieze the day...you name it,
tom
p.s. I am grateful for my family and for that lesson

LOtB said...

I'm in!

Cappy said...

There is so much I am thankful for, I try to remind myself of that often, thank you! Count me in for the Leadville trip! -Jerry

bikesgonewild said...

...i'm not gonna reiterate my story but simply the fact that i can be here to even post brings me great joy & fills me w/ gratitude...